How to Reach Your Most Outrageous Goals
Its embarrassing when goals that you set in January have not stuck come February. New Years resolutions often fail, for a variety of reasons. Let’s forget about “losing weight”, “eating healthy” and “save more money”, and concentrate on achieving your most outrageous goals. These are the thoughts that have been fantasies in the back of your mind until now – massive growth of your company, income, or improvement of lifestyle.
1. First, imagine your outrageous goal in extreme detail. Spend days fleshing out each piece, and how exactly you want your life to look. Write down, save pictures, and fill in every detail that matters to you. This is the exciting part – paint the picture of how your life/company is going to be like in the near future. Don’t worry about the practical things at this point, only work on making it crystal clear to yourself what you are passionate about achieving.
2. Share your vision with those who are involved. If your outrageous goal is for your company, share it with every single person in the organization. Your assistants, custodial, EVERYONE need to have that clear vision in their minds of where you want the company to go. Same for family goals. Invite them to contribute to the outrageous goal. You have the final say in what fits into the scope of your goal, but great ideas can be born from this. Keep your outrageous goal out and accessible for reference and constant reminder.
3. Now, the practical part – WORK BACKWARDS from your goal, and start thinking about the steps that will get you closer to your outrageous goal, until you are to back to your life right now. Assign deadlines, and be specific. Every goal has a path to get there, and the path as you are closest to your goal is the most obvious. Start there, and work backwards to the things you can do in your life right now to begin on that path. A great timeline to use is 3 years to accomplish your big goal – it is long enough to make significant changes, but close enough that the future is tangible.
4. Work towards your outrageous goal with laser-like focus. If a project comes along and it doesn’t fit your vision, don’t waste time with it. Continually communicate the vision of success to all who are involved, and be mindful of who is working towards that purpose with you. If you have employees who resist your company’s vision, provide additional training or mentor-ship until they do, or invite them to leave.
5. Meet your practical deadlines, and make adjustments as you go – but keep your BIG, OUTRAGEOUS goal on the forefront of every small decision that you make.