Consistency in Marketing
Is your marketing creating a series of one night stands, or long term relationships?
Once you decide on your message and where your target customer will see it, now what? This is the place where the commitment of many small businesses waver – you MUST be consistently in front of your target customers. Stop for a moment to think critically about your past marketing. Has it been a string of short term promotions that bring in quick, one time customers (usually at a discount)? Or are you creating meaningful, long term relationships with your customers?
Stop thinking about your marketing decisions from month to month and start planning at least 6 months at a time. You need to build relationships with your customers, and it doesn’t happen over night. Use the tools at your disposal – Internet, radio, social media, TV, PR, etc. together in harmony, over time, to build your customer base.
What do people look for in relationships?
- Trust: Being consistent shows that you are not going to disappear from the business world tomorrow. It shows that you are in business and successful.
- Value: One sided relationships rarely last very long. Give your customers valuable content, and they will give you their business.
- Honesty: Be transparent in your marketing and how you do business (admit when you make mistakes).
- Appreciation: Love your customers, and they will love you.
- Personality: Build your brand around your own authentic personality. People don’t fall in love with cold, impersonal people. Or cold, impersonal businesses.